Wednesday 6 April 2011

20 - Ballet Boyz at Sadlers Wells

Not strictly a play but I thought I'd include it as I'm ahead with my 52 plays anyway!

Seeing dance at Sadlers Wells is one of my favourite things to do. It's astounding to see people who are allegedly the same species as you moving in ways that to my mind simply shouldn't be physically possible. I also feel like it's one of London's great opportunities, I don't know anywhere else in the country where you can see such variety and quality of modern dance.

The Ballet Boyz were really impressive. When there were two pairs of them dancing on stage it was as if one pair of them were dancing in front of a mirror. The technical lighting and projections were great too: atmospheric and impressive without distracting from the dance. If I had a criticism it was that they did seem a bit full of themselves, showing a little film about their audition process half way through which didn't add particularly to the performance and made them come across as a bit arrogant. But then if I could dance like that I'd probably want to go on about it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment