Tuesday 3 July 2012

Blackadder on stage, The Chichester Players, New Park


When my little sister Daisy asked whether I would write a review of this production I was a bit apprehensive. Anyone who knows me will know that putting TV or film onto the stage just isn’t my thing. I’ve been criticized for being too harsh in the past about stage productions based on screen. Basically I love theatre, there are thousands of brilliant plays which don’t get performed enough. With all those on offer, I don’t understand why you would decide to perform something that anyone can rent on DVD, or just watch on YouTube. Particularly amateur theatre groups. The Miller Centre performed a great Swimming with Sharks last year but it’s hard to concentrate when you know you have a DVD of Kevin Spacey performing it at home. I was just sitting there thinking, “Really? Do you think you have something to add to this that Kevin Spacey missed? No? Then …why?”

So that was my initial reaction when Daisy told me she would be appearing in Blackadder on stage with the Chichester Players. But I figured, I’ve only ever seen the Chichester players once before and it was a great production of The Crucible which I enjoyed immensely. And, I might be a tiny weeny bit biased, but Daisy is brilliant on stage. She is, she’s brilliant. OK none of our family are exactly Dame Judi but Daisy has a concentration of her character and a uninhibited confidence on stage that makes her an asset to any production she gets involved with.

Bearing this in mind I headed down to Chichester to see Blackadder. And realised I had forgotten something else about this kind of ‘fan fiction’ production. The infectious joy of it. When you watch people performing something they love, that energy sparks off stage and makes you happy. And you can forgive little things like a couple of the actors being a bit quiet (not so bad for me as I was near the front but I felt a bit sorry for those at the back at points) and missed lines, and even bigger things like the use of a prompt and clunky scene changes.

OK I can’t quite ever forgive clunky scene changes. During the last hospital episode, the two hospital beds were loudly dragged out and off again about every 2 minutes, the change lasting longer than some of the scenes. By the end, this was making me giggle more than some of the play. I strongly feel that the director should have had some weary characters (perhaps Baldrick?) bringing the beds on and off again with a weary ‘oh we’ve got to bring these beds on again’ look at the audience, it would have brought the house down. Elsewhere there was some clever use of curtained off areas of the stage so different scenes could emerge and disappear, which worked very well in places, like in the first episode, Beer, where Blackadder had two parties going on in different rooms of his house. At other points, lighting different areas of the stage would have been more effective and less clunky. Better still, the play could have used some editing to be more like a play with longer scenes and less like a screen play where, of course, you can cut to another scene every few lines as and when you feel like it.

Even better than that would have been a theatrical framing device where Blackadder and Baldrick enter at the start of the play and introduce it, explaining that they are going to re-enact some of their adventures for you, maybe some jokes about Baldrick always wanting to be an actor, and a call to turn off mobile phones because they haven’t been invented yet etc. That would have set the scene, given it a theatrical setting and brought the whole production together as a play.

Anyway. While the staging was a little clunky the costumes were marvellous, taking us through the different historical periods without the need for complicated scenery. Queenie, played by a polished and very endearing Carrie Allen wore a large Queen Elizabeth dress, making her being chucked in a cupboard at least 30% funnier.

They wouldn’t have been able to pull this off without some excellent lead roles who were cast so well you couldn’t help but wonder if the company were performing this play because a lot of them looked a bit like characters in Blackadder. Tom Worthen did very well as Blackadder, he reminded me a lot of Rowan Atkinson and even had the mannerisms right. He had a tendency to mumble some of the longer lines but on the whole it was an expert performance. James Allen was also a great Baldrick, he had his comic timing spot on.

Although he was a little quiet, I also loved Steve Jupp’s delightfully dotty Prince/Lieutenant George. Especially his kind of vacant look when he wasn't talking and didn't really know what was going on. At the end of Act 2 my mum, who doesn’t remember Blackadder very well, said to me ‘Prince George just looks ridiculous’ I said ‘yes, he’s meant to be like that.’

Roddy McKerrell turned a brilliant shade of magenta as the angry Captain Darling which was most entertaining. David Brown had a great line in Stephen Fry-esque acting with a fabulous moustache which I was sorry to see that he shaved off immediately after the last performance! Young boys Nick Holland and Wilf Bond as Pitt the Younger and Pitt the Even Younger did magnificently on their lines and volume. The poker faces of Lord and Lady Whiteadder in Beer were great too. I really can’t go through and mention all the actors but special honourable mention to director Mark Clark, forced to take on several of the smaller comical characters as one of the actors had hurt his back. I thought he was hilarious.

On the whole while this wasn’t the most polished production I’d ever seen it was fast paced and entertaining with some great little touches, like Baldrick on a spit with an apple in his mouth. The fun the actors had creating it was infectious and we had a very enjoyable evening. And my sister was brilliant, naturally.

---------------

NEWSFLASH


While I was writing this entry I got an email from the National Theatre reminding me that London Road is coming back! If you missed this amaaaaazing production first time round have a word with yourself and go and see it this time. Book it, book it now

---------------

In case you would like to see them, here are the episodes of Blackadder which the Chichester players put on stage:


No comments:

Post a Comment